In the midst of a global climate crisis touching everyone and everything, there are new, sophisticated and dangerous forms of greenwashing making the rounds, courtesy of the oil & gas industry and their stooges. The Angry Clean Energy Guy exposes two particularly pernicious ones: oil companies “announcing” renewable energy projects to fund more oil & gas; and “carbon management”, aka carbon capture and storage + direct air capture, an elaborate and insidious excuse to keep pumping more oil and gas and worsen the climate crisis, while almost always using other people’s money: yours.
Assaad W. Razzouk
Shell hydrogen greenwashing: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/07/shell-to-build-europes-largest-renewable-hydrogen-plant.html
Equinor wind farm greenwashing: https://interestingengineering.com/norway-wind-farm-oil-gas
- Greenwashing: https://thetyee.ca/News/2022/07/07/Carbon-Capture-No-Fix-Big-Oil-Known-Decades/ and https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/2021/07/20/top-5-reasons-carbon-capture-and-storage-ccs-is-bogus/ and https://climateandcapitalism.com/2021/11/24/greenwash-oil-industry-promotes-carbon-capture-fantasy/ and https://www.greenpeace.org/international/story/54079/great-carbon-capture-scam/ and https://newint.org/features/2022/04/04/new-greenwashing and https://www.rechargenews.com/energy-transition/the-amount-of-energy-required-by-direct-air-carbon-capture-proves-it-is-an-exercise-in-futility/2-1-1067588
- IEA: https://www.iea.org/reports/about-ccus and https://www.iea.org/reports/direct-air-capture
- Texas CCS: https://cleantechnica.com/2017/06/12/petra-nova-leading-ccs-power-station-provide-model-australia/
- Congressional Research Service: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/R44902.pdf
- Enhanced oil recovery: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/es902006h and https://dualchallenge.npc.org/
- Occidental Petroleum greenwashing: https://www.oxy.com/operations/carbon-innovation/ and https://www.globalccsinstitute.com/news-media/latest-news/oxy-and-carbon-engineering-partner-to-combine-direct-air-capture-and-enhanced-oil-recovery-storage/ and https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-23/occidental-plans-70-plants-to-capture-carbon-from-air-by-2035 and https://www.naturalgasintel.com/oxy-taking-contrarian-approach-to-net-zero-emissions-by-developing-oil-resources-reusing-co2/
- “Negative Emissions Technologies”: https://nap.nationalacademies.org/catalog/25259/negative-emissions-technologies-and-reliable-sequestration-a-research-agenda
- DAC greenwashing: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-17203-7
There is so much to be angry about, if you are a clean energy guy.
Every day, so many things that happen around the world make me angry when I look at them with lenses colored by the climate change chaos unfolding everywhere around us. And I am especially angry because I know we can solve the climate change crisis if we were only trying.
Each week, I will share with you a few topics that struck me and that I was very angry about – and this will generally have to do with climate change, solar or wind power, plastic pollution, environmental degradation, wildlife, the oceans and other related topics.